FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Where can I find your brochure?
You can click on the’ Brochure’ tab on our web site, fill in your details and we will send you one.
Or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
Or telephone us on 01285 831437 and ask us to send one.
If you are abroad and don’t want to pay the £6 charge, or you would rather view online, you can download a digital version of our brochure.
How long does an express order take to arrive?
An express order costs an extra £10 and if the item is in stock and ordered before midday, will be delivered the following day. However, Parcelforce do not operate on Saturdays and an express order made on a friday will be delivered on the monday of the following week.
Large rugs have to be sent on a 48 hour service because of their lenghth, so will therefore take a day longer to arrive on an express order.
What are the hanging instructions for Wallpaper?
1. Measure the height of the wall to be prepared. Lay the wallpaper on a clean floor or table and cut allowing extra at the bottom and top so you can trim the paper once it is pasted onto the wall.
2. Apply the paste (please use a good quality ready mixed paste) directly to the back of the wallpaper, place on the wall and brush out any air bubbles with a good quality brush as normal.
3. Cut off excess wallpaper at the top and bottom with a Stanley knife.
4.Cut the next drop of wallpaper allowing for pattern matching and extra trimming at the top and the bottom (just like matching fabric).
5. Now paste the next drop of wallpaper and place it along side the first, matching the pattern.
Where can I find details on your returns and delivery policy?
You can find them by visiting:- https://www.vanessaarbuthnott.co.uk/delivery_and_returns
Cut lengths of fabric are non returnable.
Rolls of wallpaper and rugs are returnable if in perfect condition within 7 days of purchase
I have some tomato/chilli stains on my oilcloth..how can I remove them?
You can wipe the oilcloth with neat bleach, even leave some neat bleach on the stains over night and they should all come out.
How can I prolong the life of my curtains?
You can draw them well back from the light to help prevent fading. You can interline them. You can draw them with a pully system to avoid making the leading edge dirty.
How do I get the creases out of my oilcloth?
You can spray the back of the oilcloth with water and leave it to dry naturally – this might remove the creases, you can also smooth over the creases with your finger. You can iron on the back of the oilcloth to remove creases but only with a very cool iron and be very careful as you can make the surface shiny.
How can I get the creases out of my new curtains?
Once they are hanging you can spray them with a water spray and leave them to hang out creases.
Failing that you can use a water steamer – these are effective at removing creases.
What fabrics do you use?
Nearly all of our fabrics are a really good quality medium weight linen and organic cotton mix called Linen Union woven in Scotland. Our Plains (also woven in Scotland) are a heavier weight linen union most suitable for upholstery. We also offer a few 100% organic cotton fabrics.
Help with Interior design!
Let us have as much detail as you possibly can, and we will come up with some suggestions.
Let us know which room you are decorating, the colours you are thinking of using, what kind of furniture and flooring there are in the room. Email us some photos too!
How can I stop my rug slipping on a hard wood floor?
The wonderful mill that weaves our rugs also sell a non-slip mat that you place under our rugs which very effectively stops it from slipping. They sell these online: see:www.solvawoollenmill.co.uk
If I have made a mistake and ordered the wrong fabric is it returnable?
We are vey sorry but cut lengths of fabric are non returnable, so be sure to quote the code and colours you would like accurately. It would be even better if you checked your sample against the brochure to be sure the code etc are right!
Can you help me to calculate how much fabric I will need for my curtains and blinds?
We can help you, just phone us or email us with your measurements. You can also use the made to measure part of our web site to calculate quantities of fabric.
Do you have a shop or showroom?
We don’t have any shops yet! We do have a workshop and people are welcome to pop in to see all our fabrics by appointment, please telephone us.
What is the chance of my order being in stock?
We hold very good stock levels, it is very likey that your order will be in stock. if not we are usually able to reprint very quickly -you can usually receive your order if it is out of stock in 2-3 weeks.
Do you offer oilcloth in any of the fabrics that aren't listed under oilcloths?
We only do oilcloth in the fabrics in the oilcloth section.
What size part metres do you sell please?
You can order in 10cm increments, so 3.5m or 3.6m etc. 0.5m is the minimum.
Can the fabrics you offer be used for upholstery?
Yes the Linen Union and the Plain linens are perfect for upholstery.
Can you tell me what your policy is on eco friendly practices and process methods.
Please see page 89 of my brochure or look at the web site and you will see that we are very keen on using only organic cotton and we do our best to be a eco friendly as possible!
How do I clean my rug?
The rug can not be washed in a machine, but can only be dry cleaned.
How much fabric do I need to make a cushion?
For a 16" cushion 50cm of fabric is needed and 18" or 20" cushions require 60cm.
How do I order 5 free samples?
Simply click on the red “order sample” button to the right of your chosen fabric and proceed to basket as normal. 5 samples can be sent out free of charge to UK addresses. For more than 6 samples and for overseas orders we do make a charge.
20 SAMPLES IS THE MAXIMUM THAT CAN BE ORDERED.
The brochure can be downloaded by clicking on the “brochure” tab on the left-hand menu on the homepage and clicking “download”. The full brochure will download very quickly and you can click on any index item and it will take you to the relevant section.
I want to use the fabrics for upholstery. How do they score on a rub test?
RUB TEST AND COLOUR FASTNESS
All fabrics except the Plain Linen Unions score
BWS ratings 6-7 for colourfastness to light.
The Plain Linen Unions score BWS rating 4-5 for
colourfastness to light.
All score 30,000 on the Martindale Rub Test
for wear and tear.
What are the Wall Covering hanging guidelines?
1. Measure height of wall to be prepared. Lay the wall covering on a clean floor and cut allowing extra at the top and the bottom so that you can trim the paper once pasted onto the wall.
2. Apply a ready mixed wallpaper paste directly onto the wall and NOT onto the wall covering. (Please use a good quality paste for heavy wallpapers.)
3. Place the wall covering on the wall and brush out any air bubbles with a good quality brush as normal.
4. Cut off excess wall covering at the top and bottom with a sharp Stanley knife.
5. Cut the next drop of paper allowing for pattern matching and extra for trimming at the top and at the bottom (just like matching fabric!).
6. Now paste the next area of wall and place the second drop of wall covering along side the first matching the pattern.
Quick FAQ List
- Where can I find your brochure?
- How long does an express order take to arrive?
- What are the hanging instructions for Wallpaper?
- Where can I find details on your returns and delivery policy?
- I have some tomato/chilli stains on my oilcloth..how can I remove them?
- How can I prolong the life of my curtains?
- How do I get the creases out of my oilcloth?
- How can I get the creases out of my new curtains?
- What fabrics do you use?
- Help with Interior design!
- How can I stop my rug slipping on a hard wood floor?
- If I have made a mistake and ordered the wrong fabric is it returnable?
- Can you help me to calculate how much fabric I will need for my curtains and blinds?
- Do you have a shop or showroom?
- What is the chance of my order being in stock?
- Do you offer oilcloth in any of the fabrics that aren't listed under oilcloths?
- What size part metres do you sell please?
- Can the fabrics you offer be used for upholstery?
- Can you tell me what your policy is on eco friendly practices and process methods.
- How do I clean my rug?
- How much fabric do I need to make a cushion?
- How do I order 5 free samples?
- BROCHURE DOWNLOAD
- I want to use the fabrics for upholstery. How do they score on a rub test?
- What are the Wall Covering hanging guidelines?